07 December 2005

Guest Bloggers: My Students

While grading mountains of papers these last few days, I amused myself by seeing whether I might find within them thoughts or insights that might serve as interesting posts on a blog such as this (that is, on this blog, which is the only blog such as this--or, maybe not: J.L. Austin once insisted that one shouldn't say that "A duck is like a duck", and along the same lines perhaps it is misguided to say that This blog is the same sort of thing as this blog).

I culled out 8 such ideas, which I shall present as a series of posts. I attribute these to the students--de facto 'guest bloggers'--with their permission. (Yes, in some cases I clarify or sharpen the student's idea slightly; but the basic insight remains the student's.)

Half of the ideas are of students in a course I am presently teaching at Brown University, and half are from my students at Clark University.

2 comments:

anon 2-4 said...

"J.L. Austin once insisted that one shouldn't say that "A duck is like a duck", and along the same lines perhaps it is misguided to say that This blog is the same sort of thing as this blog."

As things have been slow around here I will try out some pedantry.

If "blog such as this" means a blog of the same TYPE--and I think that is the natural way of taking it--then I don't see the problem. (It is OK to say: "Daffy and other such birds," if by "such birds" you have in mind ducks. I think that is OK even if Daffy is the only duck. It is OK to say: "ducks are ducks." For that is what they are.)

Again, contrast "ducks and other such birds," which does sound funny, b/c although "such" suggests "birds of the same type," as before, here "other" suggests different birds--i.e., birds of a different type. But in your original phrase "other such blogs," you are speaking of other tokens of the same type--nothing funny about that, even if (as it happens) there aren't any.)

Anonymous said...

And who said that analytic philosophy is not useful?